SME Finance Monitor
The SME Finance Monitor has been providing independent, robust and respected data on access to finance amongst SMEs since 2011. We have now conducted over 200,000 interviews (4,250 each quarter), building into a considerable data set on SME sentiment around past and future finance needs. Having tracked how SMEs fared after the last recession, we have monitored them through Covid-19, Brexit and, more recently, the increases in costs, with regular updates on SME access to finance as well as their growth plans, ambitions and current performance. New data for 2023 includes a better understanding of which SMEs have taken, and are still repaying, Government backed pandemic funding and what that means for them.
SME Finance Monitor Q2 2023 - published September 2023
SME Finance Monitor Q4 2022 - published March 2023
Updates on key metrics are published based on the previous 3 months rolling data. The latest period is the 3 months to the end of June 2023.
SME Finance Monitor Q2 2022 - published October 2022
SME Finance Monitor data is made available across a range of bespoke reports
- Updates on key metrics are published based on the previous 3 months rolling data. The latest period is the 3 months to the end of June 2023.
- A full report is usually published every 6 months, providing the latest data on SMEs by size, sector and region and showing how the market has evolved over time. The latest full report was for Q4 2022, published in March 2023.
- Every year we publish the annual Regional Report, which provides more detail on the English regions and the three devolved nations in the last year and over time. The 2022 annual regional report was published in July 2023, along with a visual summary of performance by region.
- We also publish reports on specific sub-groups of interest. The most recent Women-lead business report included data to Q2 2019 and more recent headline data was included in the latest Rose Review update on female entrepreneurship.
- The Ethnic Minority Businesses report is based on the experiences of ethnic minority SMEs in the 18 months to Q2 2020 and how those experiences have changed over time.
- The full archive of SME Finance Monitor reports can be found here: https://www.bva-bdrc.com/sme-finance-monitor-archive/