SME Finance Monitor
The SME Finance Monitor has been providing independent, robust and respected data on access to finance amongst SMEs since 2011. We have now conducted over 160,000 interviews (4,500 each quarter), building into a considerable data set on SME sentiment around past and future finance needs. Having tracked how SMEs fared after the last recession, we are now monitoring them through the immediate and longer term implications of Covid-19, with regular updates on SME access to finance as well as their growth plans, ambitions and current performance. The latest data shows that the strains arising from Covid-19 evident in Q2 persisted in Q3 but typically were not worsening, and in some instances the situation had improved.
Key metrics for the 3 months to December 2020
SME Finance Monitor data is made available across a range of bespoke reports
- Updates on key metrics are published each month based on the previous 3 months rolling data. The latest period is the 3 months to the end of November 2020.
- A full report is usually published every 6 months, providing the latest data on SMEs by size, sector and region and showing how the market has evolved over time. Due to the pandemic and the need to get data out in a timely manner, the Q2 2020 report was replaced by a summary chart pack and management summary published on the 12th August 2020 and an additional Q3 2020 summary chart pack and management summary on 1st December. The Q4 2020 report will be written as normal and published in March 2021.
- Every year we publish the annual Regional Report which provides more detail on the English regions and the three devolved nations in the last year and over time. The 2019 report was published in July 2020 and the next report for 2020 will be published in mid-2021.
- We also publish reports on specific sub-groups of interest. The most recent Women-lead business report included data to Q2 2019. The last Black and Minority Ethnic business report included data to Q2 2016 but an updated version is due to be published later in 2021.
- The full archive of SME Finance Monitor reports can be found here: https://www.bva-bdrc.com/sme-finance-monitor-archive/